Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Countless Beginnings


I have a blog.
Again.

I think this is my 6th or 7th blog that I've begun with the intent of seeing it through.
There are hidden dreams of fame, or at least dreams of people reading what I write.
Everyone with a blog hopes for readers, though.



Anyway.
I guess I should talk about myself since this is my introduction to Blogger.
I'm 21, naturally blonde-ish, and double majoring in history and English for secondary education at a not-so-well-known university in Michigan. Instead of going to Michigan State or University of Michigan, I opted to save money by going to this much more intimate, commuter-driven school. It's alright, I guess. This fall will begin my 4th year here.

This fall will also mark my 4th year at the university's library. I work the front desk as a "Access Services Student Employee". Yeah. Glorified version of a Check-Out girl. It's a pretty plush job, all things considered. I sit at the front desk and watch people walk in and out of the library. Sometimes they check out books. Sometimes they return books. Sometimes they try to steal books, and then our ear-piercing alarm system goes off and I have to call the supposed perpetrator back to the desk so I can politely accuse them of stealing. More often than not, the alarm gets set off by someone's laptop charger, which makes everyone involved somewhat angry.

There's more to my job than that, but to the untrained eye, that's all I do when I'm not pushing 600 lb. book carts to and fro, or picking up after the slobs on the main floor and in the stacks. (By the way, being able to call the aisles and shelves "the stacks" is a sweet perk of being a library girl.)

On the first day of each semester I am instantly recognized as the library girl by my new classmates. In every class, people expect me to remember the one time they came in three months ago with a $2 fine/crappy pick-up line/pizza, and then apparently I'm expected to reminisce with them about this moment in their lives. Yay. And, when that's not the case, my new classmate(s) want to know if I can get them any sweet perks if they come in while I'm work.

It's a friggin' library, people. The perk is books.

In about 22 days I'll be on a plane, flying across the Atlantic. For all of July I'm going to be studying abroad at Oxford University (BNC, for those who want the specifics). I'm extremely excited - and extremely broke from paying for all of this. It should be amazing.

  • So, here's one of those old-school survey things for those who hate to read long and rambling intros. I'm making it up as I go, so maybe it won't be much better than me rambling.
  • Nickname: Library Girl
  • Age: 21
  • Home: Michigan
  • Current Desire: A dog, more money, and some lasagna.
  • Status: Very un-single.
  • Current Obsession: Threadless.com, the UK, and reading.
  • Current Books: Duel by T. Fleming, Mrs. Dalloway by V. Woolf, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Gossip Hound by W. Holden, The Peppered Moth by M. Drabble, and The Narrative Life of Frederick Douglas by himself.
  • Childhood Dream: To be an author/princess/teacher/fairy
  • Current Goals: To graduate, to write for the school paper, and to find a better paying job.

I really want a book journal. That way I might be able to keep track of what I've read this year. Ah. Too bad the year is already half gone.

Oh, and also, I've been keeping a pen and paper journal since I was about 10 years old. So, while I'm not a novice to recording thoughts, I'm pretty shabby when it comes to blogging. All tips and tricks are more than welcome!

No comments: